Monday, June 2, 2008

Castle On A Cloud

Try to imagine falling asleep as visiting your very own Castle on a Cloud. You can see it in the distance and you are drifting nearer and nearer. My castle is gray. The comfiest of colors! A gray t-shirt and pair of sweats just makes me want to curl up on the couch with my kids and some books. Then there would have to be some pink somewhere, so my castle has bright pink flags atop each tower. Lets make it have pink curtains flowing out of any open windows too. My two favorite colors complimenting each other perfectly in my very own sanctuary of rejuvenation!

Sometimes my castle sees to float in the wrong direction, or I'm floating in the wrong direction. Either way, I want to get to my castle and I can't seem to get there! Sometimes I can get to it, but I can't get in! My castle has become this seemingly impenetrable fortress. As I struggle to infiltrate, the army of wakefulness taunts me. Thoughts, worries, to do lists, memories, questions and images are all part of this army. It's a powerful army and sometimes for hours it will push me back, and keep me away from my castle.

For a time, I was only allowed a visit to my castle every other night. After a while, I stopped trying to gain access on my 'No Sleep Nights.' I had become convinced that my castle was to far away. Then, on my 'Sleep Nights,' I would clamor to my castle! The army is unable to fight 36 hours of exhaustion catapulting it's way over the castle walls, landing deep inside.

After an evening of fellowship and prayer with some girlfriends, I regained my Draw Bridge Opener and was welcomed into my beautiful gray and pink castle every night. The army was held at bay and my sleep was restored.

Then I faltered. I stopped praying for it, because I was already getting it. Why keep asking for sleep when I already had it. Cuz it didn't occur to me to think that I was given access to my castle because I was asking for it! I know He has purpose in my castle free nights. Maybe it's so I will spend more time with Him, undistracted. Perhaps it's to remind me that all things are possible if I rely on Him and sometimes we need help just climbing up to a Castle on a Cloud.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your use of imagery you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.