Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fire One!


It was bound to happen, and yesterday it did. Do we really expect to live quiet, destruction free lives with four boys around here? Certainly not. Years ago my husband told me that our boys were getting to an age when they will do some dumb stuff, because we never said specifically not to do that one dumb thing, or this one dumb thing. Not long after this conversation, my son is outside shooting his BB gun. He comes back in with a huge grin and looks very prideful. He says "Mom, you know that light, the one outside your bedroom? The one you never use. I shot it out!" Great, chalk that up to one of those dumb things that I failed to specifically mention not to do.

There are many more dumb things that they seem to do, even when they are specifically told not to. They may be told not to for a variety of reasons. Maybe because it's dangerous, maybe because it annoys me, maybe just 'cuz I said so.' Why do they push these limits? Perhaps it's rebellion, forgetfulness, or it could be that they didn't believe us when we said the pop will explode all over you if you open after it came flying through the air from one brother to another.

The first thing you teach about gun safetly is that you always assume it's loaded. So, why is it that my oldest son pulled the trigger of his BB gun while he was in the living room? He thought it wasn't loaded and he thought it was on safety! Well, it was loaded, and it was not on safety! Thankfully, the BB did not hit a child. We are even grateful that it didn't strike our ugly daddy cat. I am also thankful that when the BB shattered the front door, the glass stayed in place (until we were ready!) rather than burst right then and go all over the entryway.

No comments: